Skip to main content

Fighting Perfectionism

In the book Quitter, Jon Acuff says, "90 percent perfect and shared with the world always changes more lives than 100 percent perfect and stuck in your head."

As students, writers, and professionals, we are still learning to gauge the difference between something (essays, homework, art, etc.) that is 90 percent done or 100 percent perfect. The difference? There is no creation that will ever be 100 percent perfect outside of our minds. That's a frustrating concept, but try as we might there will always be a way to improve. It is really easy to get caught up in a self told lie: If I just add or change this one thing it'll be perfect. The reality is that this perfection we've dreamed of does not exist. It doesn't matter if it's a personal piece of art that you've created for yourself or if it's a final essay that is 35 percent of your grade...there will always be one more thing to fix.

That sounds like a trap to me. Why do we strive to be so perfect if it's unattainable? We have to reverse our own thinking. It is in our human nature to be perfect, not only perfect in who we are, but perfect in what we make. If we are never willing to let go of our work that is only 90 percent perfect, then it will simply never be read, seen, or used. Deeper than sharing your work and impacting those around you, work that is 90 percent perfect and shared with the world always out performs work that is 100 percent perfect and stuck in your head.

Specifically looking at perfectionism in the classroom, there is a very important and obvious process that directly relates to your score...turning the project/essay/homework/quiz/test in. Not turning the assignment in results in a definite zero. Turning the assignment in 90 percent perfect results in at least a grade, most likely a 90 percent. Most students don't go to this extreme. Most students will turn work in; however, most students that struggle with perfectionism, will be so stuck striving for 100 percent perfect that the work will only live in their minds. These students will procrastinate even beginning their paper or turning it in, out of fear that it won't be good enough. This procrastination will prevent you from even reaching 90 percent perfect.

This struggle does not only exist in our lives as students. Perfectionism can consume professional work and home life as well. The most prominent factor is that we have the ability to create work that is 90 percent perfect. We are flawed, and our work may be flawed. However, we are going to exponentially change more lives and empower ourselves by sharing our flawed work than we'd ever be able to do by leaving our work that is 100 percent perfect stuck in our minds.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 Tips to Help You Manage your Time and Prevent All-Nighters

You know you’re a college student when you find yourself guzzling your third Bang Energy drink at three in the morning just to finish an assignment that you procrastinated for three weeks and is now due… today. While many college students experience this level of stress at some point in their college careers, this is preventable (believe it or not) with proper time management skills. While it might be difficult to break the habit of procrastination, a few minor tips and tricks might be all that you need to get to bed at a decent time. In this article, you will learn how to conquer your to-do list and to avoid all nighters once and for all. Use a planner Whether you prefer a digital or physical planner, investing in a planner can be life-changing. The brain was not made to store as much information as your to-do list might include, but putting the information down on paper will keep you from forgetting it. Not only can you write down your assignments, but you can also include important

Where I'm From Poetry Contest Honorable Mention

 A Remnant of my Parents  by Emma Heim I heard my dad doesn't remember my birth  So stressed from working hard  Working for a wife bringing life to the earth  Born from hands that were scarred  I always felt my mom was tired  Her heart too large; our house too small  Saving all the kids we acquired  Raised by a heart that loved them all  I watched my dad lead the sheep  Helping them find everlasting hope  Slaving for people in too deep  Instructed on sin as a slippery slope  I smelled my mom’s warm meals  fresh bread and warm crockpots Cooking for eight people's needs  Taught that a little can be lot  I grew up wanting to be my mom  She always knew what to do  Loving, collected, and calm  Forever wanting to be that too   They were born of parents too  From worn hands and battered hearts  We always were the lucky few  Generations of wisdom to impart

Facing the Enemy: Writer's Block

O ne of the greatest struggles of my life has been the fight against writer’s block. As an aspiring author, not being able to write and find the words my brain is thinking of is terrifying especially when a due date looms over my head. College has brought out the most writer’s block I have ever had. Combatting the battle of writer’s block can be super tricky, but here are some things that work for me! 1. Finding Inspiration The most helpful thing for me in times of struggling with what the heck to write is finding some good inspiration. Whenever I’m struggling with writing a scene for my novel or just don’t know how to effectively communicate what I want to in an academic paper, I always go back to books, movies, or TV shows that I love for inspiration. Within them, I always find some bits of writing that I find amazing. These small pieces can really help me come up with different ideas for how to write and what to write. Going back to what I know is a great piece of literature whether