Skip to main content

Where I'm From Poetry Contest Third Place Winner

 Where I’m From – Sam Jordan


The cobble-brick square, the limestone street,

The uneven concrete pavement, crackling beneath my feet.

The tearful rain and frost-clad meadows,

The house sparrows’, song uplifts and echoes.


Stamford is undeniably beautiful when fall begins,

But nothing comes close to this pulchrous town in the spring.

The persistent fog ‘n’ damp morning dew,

At the foot of the hill, makes for quite a remarkable view.


Specks of rain dampen the moist ‘n’ soggy grass,

As I gaze out of the window at this miserable forecast.

Alas, it is not all gloom in my pretty little town,

For I love the rain, it’ll never make me frown.


Church bells ring, calling at every hour,

Mosaic stone-glass windows climb up the spiral church tower.

A quiet smile on my face, and a shiver down my spine,

My heart so full, that this little town is mine.


The wet ‘n’ lonesome man,

Sitting silently on the graveyard bench,

The marketmen sell their fruits,

Dry, under their widespread tents.


A primordial ooze, I sink back into,

As the rain hits the cobble-brick,

The lonesome man is me, happy as can be,

Reminiscent of an old-fashioned flick.


People crowding down the streets of old,

A smile on every face, as sweet bags never go unsold.

The bitter winds ‘n' gentle rain make it rather cold,

“wear a coat Sam”, I didn’t, despite being told.


The sound of the train steaming down the tracks,

My heartbeat rising, unable to relax,

The birds sing again, deep breath, I can think of only one thing,

How I long to be back in my pretty little town, Stamford, in the spring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 Tips to Help You Manage your Time and Prevent All-Nighters

You know you’re a college student when you find yourself guzzling your third Bang Energy drink at three in the morning just to finish an assignment that you procrastinated for three weeks and is now due… today. While many college students experience this level of stress at some point in their college careers, this is preventable (believe it or not) with proper time management skills. While it might be difficult to break the habit of procrastination, a few minor tips and tricks might be all that you need to get to bed at a decent time. In this article, you will learn how to conquer your to-do list and to avoid all nighters once and for all. Use a planner Whether you prefer a digital or physical planner, investing in a planner can be life-changing. The brain was not made to store as much information as your to-do list might include, but putting the information down on paper will keep you from forgetting it. Not only can you write down your assignments, but you can also include important

Where I'm From Poetry Contest Honorable Mention

 A Remnant of my Parents  by Emma Heim I heard my dad doesn't remember my birth  So stressed from working hard  Working for a wife bringing life to the earth  Born from hands that were scarred  I always felt my mom was tired  Her heart too large; our house too small  Saving all the kids we acquired  Raised by a heart that loved them all  I watched my dad lead the sheep  Helping them find everlasting hope  Slaving for people in too deep  Instructed on sin as a slippery slope  I smelled my mom’s warm meals  fresh bread and warm crockpots Cooking for eight people's needs  Taught that a little can be lot  I grew up wanting to be my mom  She always knew what to do  Loving, collected, and calm  Forever wanting to be that too   They were born of parents too  From worn hands and battered hearts  We always were the lucky few  Generations of wisdom to impart

Facing the Enemy: Writer's Block

O ne of the greatest struggles of my life has been the fight against writer’s block. As an aspiring author, not being able to write and find the words my brain is thinking of is terrifying especially when a due date looms over my head. College has brought out the most writer’s block I have ever had. Combatting the battle of writer’s block can be super tricky, but here are some things that work for me! 1. Finding Inspiration The most helpful thing for me in times of struggling with what the heck to write is finding some good inspiration. Whenever I’m struggling with writing a scene for my novel or just don’t know how to effectively communicate what I want to in an academic paper, I always go back to books, movies, or TV shows that I love for inspiration. Within them, I always find some bits of writing that I find amazing. These small pieces can really help me come up with different ideas for how to write and what to write. Going back to what I know is a great piece of literature whether