Skip to main content

Where I'm From Poetry Contest First Place Winner

Rerooting 
Belle Ayala 

I am from blooming banana trees 
Step stone paths, 
The scent of bumble bees. 
I am from Oye Como Va
 Red on rice, 
The sound of ethnicity. 

I am from The Palace marquee 
Stardom child eyes, 
The joy of make-believe. 
I am from secondhand tap shoes
 Tallest in my class,
 A fact that would always be. 

I am from sweet sixteen 
Child raising baby, 
Then 21. Then 23. 
I am from duplex homes, 
Thick brick walls, 
A conglomerate of families. 

I am from cigarette daydreams
 Coat soaked smoke, 
The kind that never leaves. 
I am from highway drives 
Half-blood brother, 
A blur of mismatched memories. 

I am from undying grief 
Matrimony muddled, 
A hurt only known to she.
 I am from the wreckage, 
The rubble 
Of a cut down family tree.

 I am from the forgotten leaves 
Sticks and stones shattering bones,
 A future unforeseen. 
I am from self-help solace, 
Stubbornness and pride, 
A passion to grow undying. 

I am going to be what I need 
A love so deep and blue, 
Through time I’ve found, 
When no one’s around, 
All you have is You.

 I will water my garden,
 I will nurture my heart, 
I will heal from all of the hurt.
 I won’t be scared, 
I’ll be prepared, 
I will put myself first, 

I will watch as I paint 
Color back into my skies 
See love as clear as day.
 I will thank whomever, 
Gifted me this forever 
And a second chance to stay.

 I will plant my seeds, 
Sew in my ashes, 
Watch as I grow in feet,
 Bring shade to my child, 
In the summer, a swing, 
And watch as my love breathes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 Tips to Help You Manage your Time and Prevent All-Nighters

You know you’re a college student when you find yourself guzzling your third Bang Energy drink at three in the morning just to finish an assignment that you procrastinated for three weeks and is now due… today. While many college students experience this level of stress at some point in their college careers, this is preventable (believe it or not) with proper time management skills. While it might be difficult to break the habit of procrastination, a few minor tips and tricks might be all that you need to get to bed at a decent time. In this article, you will learn how to conquer your to-do list and to avoid all nighters once and for all. Use a planner Whether you prefer a digital or physical planner, investing in a planner can be life-changing. The brain was not made to store as much information as your to-do list might include, but putting the information down on paper will keep you from forgetting it. Not only can you write down your assignments, but you can also include important

Where I'm From Poetry Contest Honorable Mention

 A Remnant of my Parents  by Emma Heim I heard my dad doesn't remember my birth  So stressed from working hard  Working for a wife bringing life to the earth  Born from hands that were scarred  I always felt my mom was tired  Her heart too large; our house too small  Saving all the kids we acquired  Raised by a heart that loved them all  I watched my dad lead the sheep  Helping them find everlasting hope  Slaving for people in too deep  Instructed on sin as a slippery slope  I smelled my mom’s warm meals  fresh bread and warm crockpots Cooking for eight people's needs  Taught that a little can be lot  I grew up wanting to be my mom  She always knew what to do  Loving, collected, and calm  Forever wanting to be that too   They were born of parents too  From worn hands and battered hearts  We always were the lucky few  Generations of wisdom to impart

Facing the Enemy: Writer's Block

O ne of the greatest struggles of my life has been the fight against writer’s block. As an aspiring author, not being able to write and find the words my brain is thinking of is terrifying especially when a due date looms over my head. College has brought out the most writer’s block I have ever had. Combatting the battle of writer’s block can be super tricky, but here are some things that work for me! 1. Finding Inspiration The most helpful thing for me in times of struggling with what the heck to write is finding some good inspiration. Whenever I’m struggling with writing a scene for my novel or just don’t know how to effectively communicate what I want to in an academic paper, I always go back to books, movies, or TV shows that I love for inspiration. Within them, I always find some bits of writing that I find amazing. These small pieces can really help me come up with different ideas for how to write and what to write. Going back to what I know is a great piece of literature whether